Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms.” 1 Peter 4:10
Our volunteer procedures are now in place for Freedom in Christ Prison Ministry (FIC). Please read the procedures carefully to determine where your comfort level lies in volunteering your time to the ministry and men at FIC. You can check out our Volunteer Opportunities here.
All volunteers are required to complete a Volunteer Information form and mail to:
Freedom in Christ Prison Ministry
P O Box 617
Anaconda, MT 59711
We are allowed a maximum of 4 visitors per event inside MSP. We welcome groups from congregations, or individuals. When the maximum number is filled for a specific date, we will encourage you to pick another date or event that still has slots open.
The following outlines the procedures for becoming a volunteer for FIC. This is also available as a downloadable document for ease of sharing with others. The link is at the bottom of the page or can also be found on our Forms page.
OUTSIDE COMMUNITY VOLUNTEERS:
This type of volunteer is not interested in entering the prison, but wants to support the ministry in various other ways.
If you are going to handle money (say at a fundraiser or other type of event) for the ministry, or work with a program or service that is for families with children, a background check will be performed. We may determine the need for a background check on a case-by-case basis in other situations that may arise.
- Complete a Volunteer Information Form and mail to the address above.
- Let the Volunteer Coordinator or Ministry Administrator know what you are interested in doing.
- Attend the Spiritual Gifts Assessment. We will provide this once a month via the internet. Dates and times will be announced on the website. More information is coming in the near future.
WORSHIP/BIBLE STUDY/PRISON GUESTS:
This type of volunteer is limited to attendance at events in the prison ONCE every three (3) months. The volunteer MUST be 18 years of age or older.
- If you have not completed a Volunteer Information Form, you will need to do so and send it to FIC as soon as possible. Your personal information is needed a minimum of 15 days prior to the event you wish to attend.
- Once you determine which event you would like to participate in, you must notify Pastor Rob or the Ministry Administrator of your desire to attend and the date you wish to come. Pastor Rob will notify prison officials and supply them with your personal information so a background check can be performed. An official from the prison will more than likely contact you by phone with additional questions, and you may receive a packet of information in the mail. Please be sure to read this information thoroughly.
- Once approved, Pastor Rob will notify you of the time you need to arrive and the place you will meet. He will give a brief Prayer and Training session and explain procedures for entering the prison. Everyone will then proceed to the prison as a group.
Enjoy your experience! Keep your mind open to the work of the Holy Spirit during your visit. You will come out inspired and renewed!
This type of volunteer can enter the prison as often as they wish once the MSP Volunteer training is complete. They are not limited to the once every 3 months rule for guests.
PLEASE NOTE: At this time, this type volunteer is prohibited by Department of Corrections Policy 1.3.12 from having ANY contact with inmates or their families outside of the actual activities in which they participate.
- Complete the FIC Volunteer Information Form AND a MSP Volunteer Application. The MSP Volunteer Application can also be downloaded on the Forms page. If you don’t have internet access, contact either MSP or the Ministry Administrator for FIC to have one sent to you.
- You must attend the MSP Volunteer training session before you can be an approved MSP Volunteer. MSP schedules training classes two to four times a year. To attend a MSP training class, you must complete and submit a MSP Volunteer Registration form to MSP at least 15 days prior to the training class. You can also access this form on our Forms page. Complete it and forward to MSP (address below). MSP will notify you and let you know you are approved to attend the class. Please let us know as well that you are interested in becoming a volunteer and are planning on attending a MSP training class. Training is all day with lunch provided. Dates will be posted on our website, in our newsletter, and via e-news blasts.
- Attend the Spiritual Gifts Assessment we provide via the internet.
- Once approved, you can let Pastor Rob know when you would like to come to the prison.
- When your day comes for your visit, Pastor Rob will let you know when and where to meet. There is a short Prayer and Training session prior to entering the prison. Everyone will proceed, after the training, to the prison as a group.
- Enjoy your experience! Keep your mind open to the work of the Holy Spirit during your visit. You will come out inspired and renewed!
Individuals wanting to volunteer inside Montana State Prison more than once a quarter are required to:
- pass a background check (NCIC)
- complete a Volunteer Training class provided by MSP
** Training class dates will be announced on our home page as they become available.
Please mail your registration form to:
Ms. Terri Stefalo
Religious Activities Coordinator
Montana State Prison
500 Conley Lake Road
Deer Lodge, MT 59722
Freedom in Christ is an ecumenical endeavor. We invite and encourage people from all Christian faiths to join us in building this ministry at MSP through volunteering or visiting and worshiping with our brothers as MSP.
More volunteer opportunities, both inside and outside the prison, will become available as we continue to build the ministry of Freedom in Christ. As we plan fundraising events, volunteers throughout the Montana Synod (which encompasses all of Montana and a portion of Wyoming) will be needed to help us organize and conduct these events. Please check back often to see how you can share your time and talents with Freedom in Christ!